The Dremel 8220 is a variable-speed cordless, multi-purpose rotary tool. Its speed range is 5000 – 33000 rpm. It is perfect for engraving, polishing, and cutting. Its overall user satisfaction is very positive.
The Dremel 8220 is considered one of the top-notch quality rotary tool. Let’s know its features in details to understand clearly how it can help you with a variety of tasks.
The Dremel 8220 is a complete cordless rotary tool. When transferring work areas it allows you to move freely. One hour charging time and easy to charge feature its another great positive side.
Table of Contents
Dremel 8220 Review: Cordless Rotary Tool
- Model Number: 8220
- Battery Voltage: 12
- Warranty: Limited 2 Years
- Charge Time: 3 Hours
- Material: Composite
- Weight: 1.6[kg, lb, oz]
- Battery: 12V Max Lithium-ion Battery
- Speed: Variable (5,000 – 35,000 RPM)
- Speed Range: 5,000 – 35,000 RPM
- Tool Level: 5 – Cordless – variable speed high
- Length: 9[“]
- Width: 3[“]
- Kit: Kit contains 28 accessories
- Fast Charging Option: One-hour charger for minimal downtime
Specifications of the Product
Dremel is a leading brand in the rotary tool kit world. It produced many models. Among them, The Dremel 8220 is most well known as it has variable-speed. It is a cordless rotary tool. It offers the highest performance as well as versatility. Its most powerful motor ensure its strength with the highest action at all speed levels. The Dremel 8220 is compatible with all present Dremel rotary tool attachment and accessories. Thus it offers a wide range of projects. In any position, its
360-degree grip zone with a slim ergonomic body ensures full control. Its battery time is amazing. The Dremel 8220 has a 33% longer run-time as it is powered by 12V MAX Lithium-ion battery technology.
Benefits and Features of the Dremel 8220
- Lightweight: The Dremel 8220 is easy to carry. It’s weighing in at only 4.4 pounds. Such an option will help you to easily access to everywhere those hard to reach areas too. It also reduces fatigue.
- Long lasting charge: The rotary tool is powered by 12-volt max lithium-ion battery. Even if the device is not being used the new Lithium battery holds a charge much longer time.
- Multi-purpose option: The Dremel 8220 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool offers the multi-purpose function. It is so far its best feature. It means you are buying a dozen tools in one.
- Variable speed: Its variable speed allows users better control. Such a feature helps them to accomplish their tasks with accuracy.
- Fast Accessory Change Option: Dremel 8220 quick collet lock ensures fast accessory changes.
- Ergonomic: Comfortable 360-degree grip zone allows better hold.
- Compatible: All Dremel accessories and attachments can be used with the Dremel 8220 rotary tool model.
- Cordless: The tool is cord free. No more power cord getting in the way.
- Fast Charging: The Dremel 8220 model offers fast charging. It means a one-hour charge allows for minimal downtime.
- On/off switch & Speed Control: Separate on/off switch and speed control Dremel 8220 model’s another pleasing surprise. It retains speed setting for the perfect speed every time.
- EZ Twist nose cap: For your fast accessory changes the rotary tool offers EZ Twist nose cap with wrench
- Ball bearing construction: Cool-running ball bearing construction for quiet and smooth operation
Things we do not like
Some users are not satisfied regarding the selection of attachment with the Dremel 8220 model rotary toolkit.
Things we like
The Dremel 8220 can produce extremely high speed. So, when you intend to work with plastics always adjust to a lower RPM. Thus you will be able to avoid plastic melting.
No matter what position you may be in its 360-degree grip zone gives users more control over the rotary tool.
Compatible all existing Dremel attachments
Practically any material you can cut as well as work on using Dremel rotary tool. This is the great advantage of this brand. When you equipped your rotary tool with the right accessory for the material you can feel relax for the best result.
Impressive customer service
Great, friendly customer service is another big plus point of Dremel. As one of the best tool-maker, it promptly handles any problem as well as maintain its reputation.
Remember The Dremel 8220 is heavier than its other models. Yet it is easy to control and nicely balanced.
The Dremel 8220 offers convenience and freedom of no cord with top notch quality. In every situation, you will appreciate its control as well as power. It will let you work with any material.
In the Dremel world, Dremel 8220 is regarded as one of the largest rotary tools. It is a very handy tool with a 12-volt unit. Besides, this quite handy tool is adaptable with most Dremel accessories as well as attachments to have at your home. It is versatile and offers more.
Power: The Dremel 8220 is considered one of the most powerful rotary tool around the house for various applications. This rotary tool is supported by a high-performance motor. Thus it achieved the excellent ability to run 28 different accessories as well as attachments.
Besides almost any other Dremel can operate it. Moreover, you will find that most other rotary tool is slower than Dremel 8220 as it always finishes the tasks quickly. Its speed setting option is impressive. Thus you will get maximum performance with the strength of this unit.
Speed: You can accomplish a lot of application perfectly with Dremel 8220 rotary tool as it offers a variable speed unit. Over your projects, you will get maximum control and precision as it can run at speeds from 5,000 to 35,000 RPM.
This rotary tool comes with a speed controls switch. Thus you will find it is easy to adjust the variable speeds. Every time you use the Dremel 8220 you will always get a perfect speed even when you switch it off as it does not lose the memory of your selected speed settings.
Cordless from top to bottom: You know cordless tools are most popular for various reasons. In so many jobs a cord limits you. Cordless always will give you better convenience and control when you are facing tight space, or intricate projects to get a job done perfectly. Besides, where no power is available you can use these tools.
Battery: The Dremel 8220 equipped with a lithium-ion battery. Such a powerful presence easily gives it up to 33% longer run time. You will get minimum downtimes as it has a charge time of between 1 and 3 hours.
It’s another big plus point is it comes with two battery packs. It means you will never face any downtimes if you keep them all charged up. Moreover, you will get a charger from this Dremel rotary tool model.
Easy to use: The Dremel 8220 rotary tool is considered one of the most user-friendly device. It comes almost ready for use. No setup trouble you will face. Besides, it does not have any switches or buttons.
Things will be quite easy once you start operating it. You will find one switch for controlling speed as well as the main switch for separate on/off position.
With some simple effort and less time, you can even easily change attachments or accessories. Do you need a fast change of the accessories? That’s possible too.
An EZ Twist nose cap wrench comes with the Dremel 8220 makes it possible. From your any position it is easy to control as the 360-degree gripping zone ready to do that at once.
Portability: You know another vital point of a rotary tool is portability. Most people want and like it as they often need to move from one site to the other without any trouble.
You will pleasingly find that the Dremel 8220 is a highly portable rotary tool as it is lightweight as well as compact in size. It only weighs 1.6 pounds. It offers impressive power in spite of compact size. This powerful rotary tool is 2 inches wide and 9 inches long.
Other Features: The Dremel 8220 is very durable as it has a reliable, composite body. Thus it prevents damages from accidental falls and can protect the electronic components. It ensures smooth as well as quiet operations as it features a cool-running bearing. A two-year limited warranty comes with the Dremel 8220 rotary tool.
Accessories: You know Dremel 8220 is a 28-accessory rotary tool. However, almost all Dremel accessories and attachments it can accommodate due to its size and adaptable design. This rotary tool comes with the following some of the attachments/accessories:
This rotary tool comes with the 561 cutting bit for multipurpose cutting use, EZ456 1 1/2-inch cut-off wheel and 426 1 1/4-inch cut-off wheel with fiberglass reinforcement.
The 541 grinding wheels (aluminum oxide) accessories for sharpening and grinding comes with this Dremel model.
For polishing as well as cleaning the Dremel 8220 clearly proves its impressive usefulness. It comes with the numerous accessories that include four 425 polishing wheels and the three 414 small felt wheels.
Moreover, this model of Dremel 8220 is capable enough to do some sanding as it is regarded as the perfect rotary tool and offers accessories for this. Among them, accessories include the 408 1/2-inch sanding band and the 60 grit 407 1/2-inch sanding drum.
For any responsible homeowner, a great rotary tool is almost essential. Inside as well as outside of your home this small tool kit can adjust and fix so many things.
Want to trim your lovely cat’s claws? Need to polish a hard to reach place? Need to sandpaper a table edge? A perfect rotary toolkit like The Dremel 8220 is your answer. It can help you to complete all these tasks and more. You are welcome to try.
In and around the house this rotary tool can help you with dozens of tasks, for example, cutting screws, sending drums as well as carving out delicate designs.
An example of a great rotary tool is the Dremel 8220 Cordless Rotary Tool. It can be easily used with all of the accessories and attachments manufactured by the Dremel Company. Indeed this is the great thing about this product.
You will thus get relief purchasing such an ideal tool. It can perfectly complete dozens of tasks. Just use a simple attachment change. It made even easier by the unit’s quick collet lock.
Dremel 8220 Cordless Rotary tool’s another great feature is it is cordless. It means a user can easily move the tool around the home. When transferring work areas you do not have to change plugs. It is easy to charge the battery. It lasts up to one hour in between charging periods.
Another eye-catching feature of this rotary is its weight. The Dremel 8220 rotary tool weighs only 4.4lbs. Thus making it comparatively lightweight. Such a good option allow its users with greater ease and comfort the product to be used. This rotary tool is a slim build.
It comes with a 360-degree grip zone that allows users more control over the tool. Dremel 8220 does not matter what position you may be in.
What was removed from the 8220-2/28 kit vs the 8200-2/28 kit:
- 191 High-Speed Cutter
- 411 3/4″ Sanding Disc, 180 grit (2)
- 420 Emery Cut-Off Wheel (2)
- 575 Right Angle Attachment
- 932 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
- 84922 Silicon Carbide Grinding Stone
What was added to the 8220 kits vs the 8200 kit:
- 426 1-1/4″ Fiberglass-Reinforced Cut-Off Wheel
- A550 Shield Attachment
Multiple included accessory quantities that changed:
- (8220 kits on left vs 8200 kits on right)
- 408 1/2″ 60 Grit Sanding Band (2 vs 3)
- 414 1/2″ Felt Polishing Wheel (3 vs 2)
- 425 Emery Wheel (4 vs 1)
- 429 1″ Felt Polishing Wheel (3 vs 1)
- 445 1/2″ 240 Grit Sanding Band (3 vs 2)
What Dremel 8220 Rotary Tool Kit Can Do
As a multipurpose model, the Dremel 8220 rotary tool can help you in many challenging projects. You can use it for various things at home or workstation. Still, it’s a primary application or uses based on four-way.
- Cutting: The Dremel 8220 is the perfect rotary tool kit for you whether you want to cut metal, wood, ceramics, hard epoxy, concrete, brick or porcelain. Almost any type of material it can easily cut into as it is well known for its versatility. Do you want to cut a diverse range of materials? It’s also possible. The Dremel provides different accessories for such challenging cutting projects.
- This tool will always be very handy if you want to carve something in your workshop or to finish off a project with some engraving. Several accessories and attachment of Dremel can fulfill these purposes. When you want to do some grooving, shaping and hollowing the high-speed attachments will be ideal. If you want to make hard materials removals and smoothing you can use the tungsten cutters.
- You can give your projects a sparkling appearance with the Dremel 8220 with little effort. This toolkit comes with cleaning and polishing accessories. No matter whether heavy material removal or minor deburring this will be very helpful.
The Dremel 8220 with its unique sanding accessories allows restoring your furniture and appliances by removing rust. You can do it with sharpening or the grinding accessories as well as polishing them with the accessories of sanding. The Silicon carbide stones also come with the Dremel 8220 rotary tool. Thus it will help you to deal ideally with much non-ferrous materials like glass, stone, and ceramic.
- Nice assortment of basic bits is a bonus
- The variable speed is well worth
- It is cordless and has a lot of power
- Excellent run time
- Very maneuverable
- Recharge battery lasts a long time before having to recharge it
- very handy
- This device excels in allowing the user to do fine small grinding in tight places
- versatile tool
- Compact set
Just a little too heavy and bigger
Are you looking for an all in one good rotary tool? If you looking for above features in just one rotary tool kit then obviously the Dremel 8220 cordless rotary tool is perfect for you.
For most users, the cordless tool is a great choice. It is truer for intricate and delicate work. A great rotary tool like Dremel 8220 provide years of reliable service. You will need a Dremel if you work with tools. So, we recommend Dremel 8220 as an impressive tool.
Add the Dremel 8220 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool in your precious collection. Thus you will be perfectly set for any cutting, polishing, sanding, trimming, carving and detailing tasks.Thus your all projects will receive sparkle as well as an aesthetic appeal.
This excellent tool will assist you to complete a lot of variety of projects from polishing and cleaning to cutting and sharpening different material.
Besides, this rotary tool allows you to operate it at a wide range of speeds because it is very powerful apart from its versatility. These tool charges fast and its 12-volt battery ensures longer running time than other competitors.
For both professionals as well as hobbyists it can be an excellent pick. With minimum downtimes, you can work using The Dremel 8220 rotary tool.
Also check: Dremel 4000 vs 4200 Rotary Tool Kit