One of the most important woodworking power tools is a benchtop planer. Every woodworker needs it. There are many power tools in the market. WEN is regarded as a great brand for most power tools.
If you don’t have thickness planers it would not be possible to work with wood. You can do various woodwork with a thickness planers as it allows you to rugged, turn rough, old and worn lumber to smooth ones ready to work with. Besides it makes smoothen the rough surfaces, both side parallel and reduces the wood thickness.
In every aspect, it may not the best but their combination of quality and affordability prove them a brand to consider when you want to buy a new tool.
You may use to work often with rough sawn stock or you may have a short time. Naturally, a thickness planer is a must for you.
In the long run, a benchtop planer saves a lot of money. You can easily avoid hardware store to buy expensive pre-cut boards as with a WEN 6552 planer you can utilize it to repurpose used wood, smooth rough-sawn lumber. You may wonder which planer is best for you. Well, there are a few things you need to know and consider in details before buying decision. The main challenge is to find out which one best fits into your workshop. In handling wood they (planers) require much less effort.
Specification of WEN 6552 Planer
- Weight: 66 pounds
- Dimensions of product: 25.2 x 21.8 x 16 inches
- Source of Power: ac/dc
- Size: 13-Inch
- Included Components: 13-Inch Benchtop Thickness Planer
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Cuts per minute (CPM): 25,500
- Feed rate in feet per minute (FPM): 26
- No load RPM: 8500
- Motor (VAC, A): 120, 15.0
- Maximum stock thickness: 6”
- Knives: 3 Reversible knives
The Wen 6552 benchtop thickness planer comes with its own set of distinguishing features. They make it one of the best benchtop planers.
- Height adjustable feature: The WEN 6552 planer is remarkable for many reasons. The height adjustable infeed and outfeed tables option are one of them. When you want to adjust the height of your infeed and outfeed tables you will find it is very useful.Another plus point of WEN 6552 planer is a 3 blade cutterhead feature. Thus, on your wood such 3 blade cutterheads ensure better finishes than the 2 blade types.
- Powerful motor: The WEN 6552 equipped its cutterhead with a powerful 15 amp motor. Naturally, it makes the cutter very fast. Per minute it easily produces 25500 cuts. Its another secret reason of best finishing is this planner amazing speed.
- Dust ejection option: The WEN 6552 does so well for many reasons. Dust ejection is another point indeed. If you have an allergy or always love to keep your workstation clean when using a planer, surely this option with a fan assisted dust ejection system will amaze you. It blows all the chips and dust produced out of the planer. Benchtop thickness planers produce so much dust and wood chips which are really disturbing. You can feel full relief if you have this fan assisted ejection. It will give you a peaceful time to implement your wood planing with complete focus.
- Three-blade cutter head: The WEN 6552 produces a very nice surface finish due to its 3 blades in the cutterhead. The number of blades x RPM = CPM this is the common formula usually thickness planers follow.
- Double roller stock return: If you have this planer you will discover a pair of rollers built in the top of the WEN 6552. This option makes the outfeed side to the infeed side for the next planing pass easier to return stock.
- Sturdy build: When you use a planer naturally a lot of stress it will experience. You know how important it is to be durable. The tool needs to use strong materials for planning to produce a durable, rigid platform. The WEN 6552 did it very successfully as its main elements are steel, cast iron, and other durable materials. An impressive feature indeed.
- Better capacity: Another mentionable feature of the WEN 6552 planer is a 13-inch width capacity. It allows it to plane boards 12.5 inches wide or even a little bit more.
- Affordable price: If you look at other planers of the market you will find the WEN 6552 offers relatively lower price. If you are a hobbyist or an economical person who want to pay a reasonable price on a thickness planer this planer can be your best choice.
We will review the WEN 6552 today as one of the most powerful as well as a functional planer. It is smartly designed for specific uses which you will discover here soon. However, it can handle well various challenges as well. Let’s start to discover the truth.
A heavy duty cast iron frame gained the confidence of WEN 6552. It is intelligently designed to reduce shaking during operation. A 15A little giant motor powered it. Thus in every minute, it used to deliver 25,500 cuts. It’s another impressive option is 26 feet feed rate per minute.
The planer accepts 13-inch inch wide wood as well as 6-inch thick. You will need to set up the necessary cutter head height. You can exactly do it with the planer thickness gauge. Besides, the convenient rubber adjustment handle will also help you a lot to do it accurately. Thus you can rightly slice off each pass anywhere between 0 and 3/32 inches.
Wondering about its blade? Three durable blades well equipped WEN 6552 planer. Thus it supports the powerful motor to reform your worn wood pieces.
You want to remove sawdust from your job site and workpiece? WEN 6552 offers a fan-assisted dust port to do it precisely. Moreover, you could attach a vac or a dust extraction device to the dust hose connection port to avoid debris all over the place.
You can quickly check on the cutting depth after each pass using the onboard material removal gauge.
- Infeed and outfeed tables: Another eye-catching feature of WEN 6552 planer is its infeed and outfeed tables. They allow longer workpieces to slide through the planer smoother. You can use both tables with their angle to easily adjust to your workpiece. Moreover, it will allow you to reduce sniping as the planer’s bigger support surface combined with the tri-roller system.
- Transportation of WEN 6552 is easy as it offers side handles.
- The WEN 6552 offers skilled service technicians support nationwide and backed up with a 2- year warranty.
- An affordable great price point
- 3 blade cutter head for smoother finishes
- Not for professional cabinetry makers
- Not for shops with limited space
Features of the WEN Benchtop Planer
- A dust extraction port with fan-assist
- Customer support is available by phone
- 2-year limited warranty
What we like about WEN 6552 Planer
- A really desirable feature is the fan assisted dust ejection
- WEN’s affordability makes it stand out
- Budget-friendly. The WEN 6552 is a perfect choice if you have limited money still need a quality as well as a top-notch planer.
What the Users Say
You have internet means have the world of information. You can research whatever you want. You need a power tool for your shop. You need an in-depth review with invaluable data when getting ready to invest your hard-earned money before finally take a decision. It is always a smart way to hear from users experience. Let’s just discovered a bit of WEN 6552 planer.
In their experience, the WEN 6552 consistently produces surface finishes very good. Even sometimes better than more expensive machines. It proves the truest measure of the tool and performance. It delivers satisfy result as its owners want or sometimes better.
In critical areas of the planer use of plastic, gears is a frequent point mentioned by users. Sometimes they experience breakage.
The WEN 6552 planer presents value philosophy as well as quality. If you work regularly with rough sawn stock a thickness planer is a must. Even in the place of heavy sanding, you may need to shave time off works. You may again use a planer. A three blade cutter used by this specific planer. It easily increases the CPM ( cuts per minute). You know a smoother finish demands more CPM. Besides, it easily reduces finish sanding amount.
Are you an advanced user? or a contractor? You have enough in your shop. You can accommodate the space required for the infeed and outfeed of stock without any trouble. In such case, the WEN 6552 is an excellent choice.
You may choose the WEN 6552 planer if you want a smoother finish on the boards your plane. Remember before taking the decision, it offers 3 knives, not just two. It is more portable as it weighs less too.
Also Read: Dremel 3000 vs 4000
Hope our WEN planer review help you to take final decision of choice. You will surely find the one you are looking for. Buy the best model for your best result. The 6552 is an excellent machine.
We are not claiming WEN 6552 planer is the finest thickness planer. However, it can produce the great result as an affordable planer. Even for many years, it will meet your planning needs as it has a solid build. It will be true if you sincerely read, understand and follow the owner’s manual and apply their recommendations. Just keep in mind, you will need sufficient shop space. It will help you to install the planer permanently on a level, solid surface with ample infeed as well as outfeed space. Do you have the room? Then with no hesitation, you can select WEN 6552 as a smart choice.